At 08:51 AM 9/10/2000, Carl wrote:

>Anyway, this post is related to the thread on "scuba cleanups". I'd like
>to invite NJ locals or anyone in the
>vicinity to this year's Belmar Back Bay Clean-up Dive on Saturday,
>September 16th, 8:00AM. It's sponsored by the Divers Two shop in Avon,
>NJ, with which I have no affiliation other than having done my AOW with
>them and regularly diving in the Bay on their "Happy Hour" dives.

September 16 is also the day for the Center For Marine Conservation's
annual International Coastal Cleanup.  For information on this point your
browser to  http://www.cmc-ocean.org/cleanupbro/index.php3  I'll betcha the
Divers Two shop is doing it in conjunction with the CMC.

A group of us did an underwater cleanup on this occasion last year at our
Riverfront Park on the Monongahela River here in Morgantown, WV.  Twelve
divers removed over 2 tons of junk during the event.  The local newspaper
covered the event and splashed it on the front page of the Metro section of
the Sunday newspaper the next day.  Whether it raised public awareness
enough to do any good I haven't a clue :)   The CMC home page had
information on what's good to remove and what's good to leave, safety tips,
and lots of other good information on conducting a safe and productive
underwater cleanup.  I imagine the information is still on their home page
somewhere, but I didn't go digging for it.
Daniel
www.diverdan.net