Did I say that I do not pick up stuff?  No.  In fact I do.  What I resent
 is the notion that I am OBLIGATED to do so or that it should be a
mandatory part of some dive course.

This thinking is the same sort that results in the ban of cyalumes because
a small percentage of people throw them overboard...or bans gloves or knives
in Cozumel because of the few.

Ron Lee