At 09:51 AM 9/5/2000 +0100, Bubble N Squeak wrote:
>1 cubic foot of water is
>
>7.4805  US Gallons
>6.2288  UK Gallons
>6.1277 Ale Gallons (what ever that is)
>
>1 UK Gallon = 1.2010 US Gallons

Gallon
From the Measures of Capacity FAQ: U.K.: "...for ale 282 cu in; for wine
231 cu in" (Conner, p 364) Note that the 231 cu in wine gallon is identical
to the U.S. gallon. This was the legal size of the gallon as established
under Queen Anne in 1707. Also, the 282 cu in ale gallon is 1.65% larger
than the 277.42 cu in Imperial gallon! The Imperial Gallon was established
in 1824 as the weight of 10 pounds of water at 62 degrees F. However, it
should be noted that the 282 cu in ale gallon does not imply that the
derivative measures are not 1.65% larger. In particular the pint served in
pubs is based on the 20 ounce pint. Camra members may argue this given
recent regulatory statements in the U.K.
U.S.: 231 cu in, 128 U.S. fluid ounces

--
We will fight for bovine freedom, And hold our large heads high.
We will run free, with the buffalo or die! Cows with Guns.