----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Kell" <[log in to unmask]>
> Small wonder they didn't prove the existence of oxygen toxicity!
> (100% O2 at 3 ATA?)

3 bar of O2 in a dry chamber isn't a big deal, Jeff. Routine O2 treatment in
a chamber often involves breathing 100% O2 via face mask at 2.8 bar for
extended periods (with an air break around each half-hour). The reason we
limit our max ppO2 to a relatively low level when diving is the potentially
lethal consequences of an OxTox 'hit' at depth. On dry land, under
controlled conditions, it wouldn't be a problem.

Just for the record, I don't really believe the researchers used a
'hyperbaric oxygen chamber' - I assume the journalist didn't know any
better - but it would be one way of attempting to investigate the narcotic
potential of oxygen.

Safe diving