In a message dated 2000:09:17 10:04:30 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Is word order messy? (Other than the inverted
>questions in "Do..."  etc.) Is the word order of
>compound verbs troublesome?

    I have always had a hard time with tenses in English and with the opaque
semantics of question words (i.e. Who?, What?, Why?, Where?, How?, etc.)
    I tend to say "What person?", "What for?", "What reason(ing)...?" "What
location/place/space, etc.?", "what way/like?", etc.
    Perhaps this cause I grew up learning English mainly from my parents who
are ESL-speakers (English-As-2nd Language) and early in childhood I refused
to conform to my American peers' use of language (also I was in culture shock
having moved from London, England to Houston, Texas).

    czHANg