Danny Wier wrote:
>2) The Olympics have begun!!  I thought Seattle was impressive when I
>visited there in mid-1998, but Sydney is really winning me over.
        Indeed, a beautiful city, that has a forever warm place in my
heart-- it was my reintroduction to Western Civ. after the year in
Indonesia.  First purchase, a very heavy sweater (it was August), first meal
a huge veal parmiggiana with a whole bottle of wine, dessert, espresso and
an anisette.  Heaven.

>If the Olympics were to be held in the homeland of any conculture or
>conlang-speaking nation, what would the native sports be (and of course
>the origin of the names of each sport), and which existing sports would
>be your best bets for gold medals?
        Curiously enough, though not a sports fan, I've thought about this.
There would be no practical way to hold Cindu-wide games, since Kash are
almost twice the size of Gwr.  The Kash could probably outdo us in  things
like weightlifting, wrestling (more or less Greco-Roman style).  They also
run, fence, shoot, throw things, and have a few team sports resembling
soccer, baseball and volleyball.  Sailing races, yes; whether rowing, I
don't know-- they're very heavy (average 200 lbs+).  Swimming is enjoyed,
but whether there would be much point in racing is debatable (times would be
slow, due to weight + furriness-- and nobody would even DREAM of shaving off
the fur).  The Gwr, up there in the Frozen North, have probably devised
things like skiing, skating, snow-shoeing, toboggans etc, plus their
versions of all the above.  I think about the only event where there could
be equal competition would be marksmanship.  As to truly _native_ sports,
haven't gone there.
All this, BTW, is definitely at a very amateur level.

Vocab. so far:  weightlifting: andukrece (lit. pick-up iron); swim, nawus,
backstroke nawus shelum, butterfly nawus rini (...fly); dive necu rini (jump
fly); to compete munuk; to race munuk yama (...run); fence mucoware
(..+sword); wrestle murendik (..+twist)