[log in to unmask] writes:
>  I once met several Peruvian students, from Lima, who pronounced all
>final nasals as /N/; some other areas, all are /n/-- the odd case is
>always
>the loan 'album', /albuN ~ albun/.  It's disconcerting to hear "eN la
>casa"
>or "cantaN".

Hmm......i may actually do that ;). To me, "cantaN" would sound
"philippine" or "east asian", especially if we spelt it like: kantang
(but, i wouldnt do that, because it would lose it's Latin look)

>    Even if pronounced as a fairly smooth English-like /h/, Span. j/ge, gi
>is still systematically a velar, so the nasal assim. is to be expected.
>In
>a case like _San Juan_ the nasal might or might not assimilate depending
>on
>tempo, but there's a word boundary.

Well, it really stood out to me because i had never heard the velar said
as strong as she says it. Others who i've heard say it, say it fainter,
much closer to /n/ than /N/ .  I've also heard this sound pop up at the
ends of words in the speech of some of the native speakers I've listened
to (Mexicans)