Chollie:

>     I'm afraid that I can't be of much help for *Ancient* Greek and Latin,
> but I just returned from the local college library with a sack of books on
> modern Italiote Greek (aka Roma´co, aka Glossa, spoken in the south of
Italy
> near Salento, Aspromonte, and also in Corsica).  Yes, I'm fully aware that
> this is *not* a constructed language, so I should probably take this
> discussion elsewhere.  There are, however, some folks on this list who
have
> expressed interest in this subject (you know who you are!), so I will
> include a short list of books that I have consulted today.

I'm personally interested in each of the 30 langs (yessirs, Ethnologue
catalogues Lombard, Piedmontese etc. as languages) we speak in the
peninsula.

Obviously I don't speak all of them (only Standard Italian and Lombard)

> Dictionaries of Italiote Greek:
> Rohlfs, Gerhard, 1965.  Vocabolario supplementare dei dialetti delle Tre
> Calabrie I.  Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften.  Neue Folge, Heft 64.
>
> Rohlfs, Gerhard, 1967.  Vocabolario supplementare dei dialetti delle Tre
> Calabrie II.  Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften.  Neue Folge, Heft
66.

Gerhard Rohlfs is a semi-daity in Italian dialectal studies and in general
Romance philology. He's written a great account on Rhaetic dialects
(Rumauntsch) and on Lombard dialects (as mine)

>     I'd welcome any more contributions to this little bibliography.
> Obviously this isn't the hottest topic in the field of Mediterranean
> languages, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Italiote Greeks
> assimilated to mainstream Italian society within the next few generations
> (as my mother's family did).  Because of my own family connections to the
> Italiotes (and the scarcity of information on Glossa/Romaico/Italiote
Greek
> on the Web), I'd like to put some information up on my own website.

Well, nowadays, unfortunately, everyone speaks Standard Italian as L1, even
if regional utterals are very different.

>     I don't know when I'll be doing this, though, because I'm scheduled to
> do a fourth year of Hebrew, a second year of Classical Arabic and Syriac,
> and to begin Ugaritic all this year - a whopping four languages.  I'm also
> helping to teach a course on the historical grammar of Hebrew.  So, the
> world of constructed languages will be hearing very little from me in the
> coming year (and the list will be less... dense... for my absence, I
> suppose).
>
> kalispera sas!

Kalispera sas, phile emou!

(Wow, what a Ancient-Modern Greek mixture!)

> -Chollie (aka Tsarli)

Luca