On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, M.S. Soderquist wrote:

> An addendum to my previous post...
>
> Yoon Ha Lee wrote:
> > <nod>  Is it silly to pray for people after they're deceased...?
>
> Also, of course, if you believe that the deceased may be trapped in
> purgatory, you can always pray to speed up their release to the better
> parts of the afterlife. :)

Alas, or not--no.  I've never understood purgatory.  I seem to pray for
people who are now deceased mainly out of habit...and there are a couple
who, unfortunately, I don't know if they're alive or dead.
(Whoops...attempted an anaphora? that doesn't work in English, but
hopefully the meaning is clear.)  I suspect it doesn't *hurt,* though.

YHL