On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, John Cowan wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Yoon Ha Lee wrote:
>
> > The notion of damnation saddens me terribly.  Forever--unforgiven?  No
> > more second chances?
>
> It saddens God even more, I should think.

Oh, goodness, yes.  I would think too.

> But forgiveness is tied to time, and souls in Hell and Heaven have no
> more time: they have entered into eternity, which is being outside
> time, not being endlessly in time.

<headache>  My notions of eternity are tied to physics and Cantorian
infinities, which, I suspect, have nothing to do with religion.

> > This is mainly a Catholic notion, correct?
>
> Yes, if you include Orthodoxy as well.  The unorthodoxy of Purgatory was
> a point of the Protestant Reformation, because the Bible (not surprisingly)
> makes no mention of it.  The basis for the doctrine is the logical consequence
> of other Biblically founded doctrines.

I don't take the Bible literally because my head would implode if I tried
to take it literally.  :-/

I'm currently reading a website that attempts to explain some of this
stuff--doctrinal differences, what have you.  I hope it helps me figure
things out, though ultimately that's my responsibility!

YHL