On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Anthony M. Miles wrote:

> Early Lahabic has a "floating" negative particle. That is, it can attach to
> any form. An interesting example is
> kyeltyaieneimaz nakhe thale'drakwoz.
> I did not see the girl.

Oh, I can do that:

  razia      na  chalesan
  girl-acc-s NEG see-PRF-PRS-1s

> tyaieneimaz nakhe kyelthale'drakwoz.
> It was not the girl whom I saw. I saw someone else (not the girl).

  ni  razia      chalesan
  NEG girl-acc-s see-PRF-PRS-1s

or pedantically:

  ni  razia      na  chalesan
  NEG girl-acc-s NEG see-PRF-PRS-1s

though it's generally accepted that a verbal negation is not really
necessary when it's the object that's negated.

> tyaieneimaz kyelnakhe thale'drakwoz.
> It was not I who saw the girl. Someone else saw the girl.

  ni  ine razia      na  chalesan
  NEG I   girl-acc-s NEG see-PRF-PRS-1s

Here, the verbal negation is required because the subject is negated.
It puts emphasis on the subject, so a subject pronoun is also
required.

Note that _razie_ means "adolescent" (someone aged roughly between 14
and 19) or "journeyman in a craft guild" and can apply to both young
men and young women.

   Irina

[log in to unmask] (myself)     http://www.valdyas.org/irina/valdyas