Nik Taylor wrote:

> Robert Hailman wrote:
> > That's pretty bizarre - no one ever has said that I sound like I come
> > from another country.
>
> What's even stranger, is that apparently this speech therapist didn't
> have that strong of an accent, yet mine seems to be pretty strong.
>
> An interesting thing pointed out by my Mom is my (and my brother's)
> pronunciation of "iron" compared to hers.  Mine is a sort of triphthong
> /aIr=n/, while hers is somethign subtly different, somethign like
> /aj(?)@rn/, or something like that, definitely as two syllables, it's
> hard to tell exactly how she says it, since I have to try to imitate
> it.  :-)

Does /r=/ mean syllabic r? I've heard it pronounced like that.

I pronounce it /ai@rn/, as do most people around me.

> > I had some speech impediments when I was younger, but they went away on
> > their own.
>
> I had several.  One was I couldn't say /r/, that was the longest-lasting
> one, I think.  I also had difficulty with /j/, saying /lElo/ for
> "yellow", I can't remember what else, and my Mom's asleep right now, so
> I can't ask.

I couldn't do intervocalic or syllable-final /r/, for example, I could
say the first /r/ in "racecar", but not the second.

I could do /j/ fine, but I had trouble with /l/ at the beginning of
words - "lucky" sounded like "yucky", which led to some confusion.

--
Robert