Taliesin skrev:

> Might be the program used that is the problem.

Tried it with Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Winamp, AudioStation2
and finally WAVEplay which said "corrupt file - cannot play". So I
guess we've localized the problem.

> I can send you other
> versions of the sounds (different subtype of .wav) as I after much
> work finally found a program that were capable of converting them.
> (An Amiga, no less)

That would be great! Thanks.

> > Yep. For some reason I can't get into my head that {o} is /u/ and
> > {u} is /}/. You'd think I could, since I'm Swedish. :)

> Hehe yeah. The entire line of closed vowels is neat though, i y u o
> in truven (/i/ /y/ /}/ /u/). Very "top-heavy" language :) So far,
> all daughter- and sister-languages I've found have at least collapsed
> the y with u or i.

Let's pray that never happens to Swedish or Norwegian. :)
I think your {u} is different from mine. Is it the same {u} you use
for Norwegian? Cos mine is a front vowel, between // and /y/ but
with the lips inrounded instead of outrounded. I think I could use
a wav-file to listen to. To hear what a central {u} sounds like, i.e.

> The following diphthongs exist in the vocab I have today, sorted by
> frequency: a e u a y y y y u u o a o o o i i e a

It's getting easier and easier to pronounce these correctly.

> That pair is actually quite easy... {o} and {o}{ygrave} would be
> rather worse :) In an earlier incarnation, those were written {o}
> and {y}. Nowadays they're the same, pronounced as the latter,
> written as the former. Same for {u} and former {y}.

Hehe. I can imagine why.

> > > Don't fuss over 'em; if the {i} of {a} is the closest to /j/,
> > > the {i} of {} is somewhere between /j/ and /w/ or if you like
> > > a rounded /j/. The difference between {a} and {a} is that {}
> > > is closest to /w/ while {} is somewhere between /j/ and /w/,
> > > but closer to /w/ than the {} of {}. Btw, /H/ is in the French
> > > word _lui_ /lHi/ or something like that.

> > AHA! _Now_ I got it! Why didn't you say so in the first place? :)

> Ah goody you mean that explanation works? Maybe I can finally update
> the sounds-page then :)

Well, I meant the explanation of /H/ as in French _lui_. But the entire
passage is good.

> > > Roughly: /ALwA.uwi.u_Lu_H:\.e:.y/

> > Hmm. My try wasn't that close. So there's a tetraphthong in
> > the beginning? That was somewhat hard to see. I petty those
> > little truven (what _is_ the adjective again?) children trying
> > to learn how to read and write at school. Ouch.

> Tip: count number of vowels with graves and acutes that are next
> to eachother, add 1 (for the diacriticless vowel in front), and
> hey presto!

AHA! Again: Why didn't you say so in the first place?! Pieces are
starting to fall into the right places.

> Actually it marks palatalization or a hyper-short closed front vowel
> whose rounding depends on it's neighbors. I've thought of replacing it
> with {} mu, but I've also thought of using that one for nasals that
> take their point of articulation from their neighbors.

Now that's a cool idea! A nice system to make the phonological rules
shine through in the orthography.

> > mp3's I can listen to. ... But not that one apparently. Arrghs!
> > What's up with my computer?!?!?

> Weird.

It got worse. The entire computer broke down. Couldn't even start the
damn thing. Because of one bad soundcard driver. Somehow I fixed it.
Now it says that I have two of the same audio driver installed, one
faulty and one working. Don't have the guts to remove the bad one since
the computer's working now. Ugh.

Daniel

"The secret to creativity is
 knowing how to hide your sources."