[log in to unmask] writes:
>In France the use of both j/i and v/u distinctions is still alive an well
>in
>Latin courses. And the distinction is simple: j is used for consonantal
>i: /j/,
>i otherwise, and v is used for consonnantal u: /w/, u otherwise.
>Diphtongues are
>the only exceptions (but one of the first thing you learn is to recognize
>them).

In my Romance Lang, I use I for both /i/ and /j/. In front of another
vowel, it's /j/:

- io - /jo/ (yes, Italian inspired that orthographical bit).

But, if in between vowels, to differentiate it orthographically the
preceding vowel is marked with an accent:

- cúio - /kujo/. (of course here, the accent is on the u)

Otherwise in that example, it would have been /kwijo/. Now, i suppose
problems may arrise if the accent isnt on the vowel marked with an accent,
but I cant think of any examples.