----- Original Message -----
From: "The Gray Wizard" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: I'm new!

http://website.lineone.net/~istari/ling.htm - it's
> > still not perfect but it is ok. Any comments appreciated.
> > Look forward to talking again to you all later.
>
> James,
>
> I just looked at your language sketch.  Nice work.  A couple of comments.
>
> Phonology
> 1) You might want to describe your phonemes using IPA or an equivalent.
> English tends to be pronounced in many different ways depending on dialect,
> so English equivalents aren't really definitive.

I will be intriducing IPA shortly.

> 2) What led you to use 'c' for /s/ and 's' for /S/?
> 3) Your labial fricative 'mf' is unusual.  What prompted this?

A lone survivor from a set including mf and pf - mf was more likely to survive because of the "a norange" idea - m is common at the end of words, and f at the beginning, and it isn't just english speakers who are sloppy ...these sounds sometimes become combined.

> 4) 'ae' for /aI/ is most unusual.

/aI/ is what I normally used ae to represent due to the influence latin has had on me.

> Case
> 1) I see that you have adopted a split ergative system motivated by animacy
> considerations.  I should warn you that the tripartite system that emerges
> for 3rd person pronouns is somewhat rare, existing in a few Australian
> languages and of course in amman iar.
> 2) I don't see this tripartite distribution of cases for 3rd person pronouns
> in your pronoun table.  There seems to be a missing ergative form.
The pronouns are irregular, and I have made some changes to the tables to try and make what I meant clearer.

> Verb structure
> 1) Aspect ( can be a very subtle concept.  Aspect coincident with tense (as
> it very often is) can be even more subtle and they don't always work the way
> they do in English.  You might want to give some examples of these (present,
> perfect, imperfect, pluperfect, future)
This will come later when I look at usage throughout the language.

> Adjectives
> 1) I very much like the use of prenominal adjectives to provide additional
> force for the modifier.
> 2) Could you give some examples of the syntax of adjective degree (equative,
> comparative, superlative)?
halacé herúin anna síp agillir kécam ammár - The lord of the haven loved the most gold-coloured ring

halas - haven (genetive [ + é], singular)
herú - lord (ergative [ + in ], singular)
anna - ring (absolutive, singular)
síp - superlative particle
agillar - gold-coloured (absolutive, singular)

kúnvan - to have (auxilliary. 3rd person present [ kécam ] )
ammárn - to love (3rd person, perfect [ - n ]

Adverbs
) Same question about adverb degree
Same answer
Word Order

> 1) I like the use of animacy to determine word order in transitive
> sentences.  How will you handle pragmatic considerations like topic and
> focus?

Haven't considered this yet

> Again, nice work!  I like the texture of the language.  You really have to
> give it a name, however.  A conlang without a name lacks soul.
will do

> David E. Bell
> The Gray Wizard

>     www.graywizard.net