On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Oct 23, 2000 at 02:21:24PM -0400@
>
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 02:21:24PM -0400, Yoon Ha Lee wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Yoon Ha Lee wrote:
> [snip]
> > And I just noticed that /c/ and /C/ also have voiced versions which
> > aren't represented, and the asymmetry of that worries me too.
> [snip]
>
> A language doesn't need to have voiced consonants IIRC... the only
> compulsory rule I know of is that if there is an affricate/fricative sound
> of a particular class (eg. dentals, velars, etc.), then there must be a
> corresponding simple stop. So if you have /x/, either /g/ or /k/ would
> need to be present. But this does not go the other way -- just because you
> have /k/ doesn't mean you must have /x/. And I *suspect* that the presence
> of /k/ does not require the presence of /g/, but I may be wrong...

I'm more worried about /d/ and /t/ requiring me to add /g/.  I just don't
*like* the sound.  <grimace>  Because if I have a voiced version of a
stop, I should have it for all stops, right...?

Or should I just say screw it, Chevraqis is *weird*?

Thanks for the rule--it clears things up for me.  :-)

> > Sorry--very scatterbrained today.  Lots of errands to run.
>
> *picks up YHL's brains after her*
>
> Here, put them back in.
>
> :-P

<sheepishly replacing brains>  Thanks.  I needed that.

YHL