On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 11:36:52PM -0400, Yoon Ha Lee wrote:
[snip]
> <nodnod>  I hate being obliged to use "c".  I tend to default to /tS/
> from what little Italian I've seen if it isn't suggestive of Latin (in
> which case I default to /k/).  I'm not really sure that "tj" or something
> else is better for /c/, though.  (I think "sj" for /C/ will be okay--at
> least, I was already using "sj," albeit for something else, and
> non-conlangers seemed okay with it.)  I wish I had better
> alternatives.
[snip]

Every time I see a "c", the first sound that comes to mind is [tS] or
[tS<h>] (Kirsch). Mainly because Malay uses "c" for [tS], and "ch" in
English is often [tS], so I kinda associate the two together. Yes, I know
"c" in English is one of the most inconsistent letters with regards to
pronunciation, but I regard those cases as "exceptions" -- that's
basically how I think of English anyway, a small set of rules plus a
bookful of exceptions. :-P Internally, I've always associated "c" with
"tS", and this is what I did in my conlang as well.