Steg Belsky wrote, quoting myself:

> > I have a friend (Rob) whose nickname is Rabb/Rabbi.
>
> Cool....if you don't mind me starting something new, you could also call
> him "rav" [rav], which is Hebrew for "rabbi" and sounds closer to the
> English name Rob (at least in my dialect) than the first syllable of
> "rabbi" does.

I don't use it in conversation - the context where I've most seen it is
as the name Rob uses when he gets a high score in a computer game. His
family have moved around a fair bit (his parents are teachers) so I
wasn't there when the nickname originated. I think it's probably used in
conversation by those who were.

Rob = /ROb/
Rabbi = /R&bai/

--
web.       | Here and there I like to preserve a few islands of sanity
netyp.com/ | within the vast sea of absurdity which is my mind.