Roger Mills wrote:

> It may not even be regional, but personal.  (Maybe denominational as
> well). My experience is limited to RC and Episcopalian clergy, all of
> whom I would call Father LastName, unless they were close personal
> friends, in which case it would be FirstName, maybe Fr. Firstname when
> talking about them.

However the very essence of a minister/pastor/priest's role is that of
being on a personal level with the congregation - a facilitator rather
than an authority. Therefore the role appeals to people who prefer the
familiar address.

> Reverend would cover everyone else, including those Episcopalians who
> don't like "Father".  Pastor, for some reason, I associate with
> Lutherans.

Lutherans and baptists, plus a number of independent churches.

--
web.       | Here and there I like to preserve a few islands of sanity
netyp.com/ | within the vast sea of absurdity which is my mind.