On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Irina Rempt wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Adrian Morgan wrote:
>
> > Lemonade is the clear, fizzy drink of which brands such as Sprite, 7-up,
> > etc are examples.
>
> Which surprised me a lot the first time I was in England: "limonade"
> in Dutch is a fruit-flavoured syrup diluted with water.

Whereas in North Am the stuff has no fizz, and is a relatively straight-
forward mixture of lemon juice, water, and sweetener (canonically sugar,
but can be anything nowadays, and some people even omit the sweetener).
However, a glass of water with a wedge of lemon in it is not lemonade.

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore