> Date:         Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:30:26 +0200
> From:         Kristian Jensen <[log in to unmask]>

> Some people call me "Chris" (mostly anglophones). The <k> always
> seems to confuse people outside of Scandinavia, making them think
> that "Kristian" is either a mispelling of "Kristina" or a corrupted
> form of "Kristine". But in fact, "Kristian" is a good ol Danish guy's
> name.

And originally it is of course the same word as English Christian (the
name and the religious denomination). I don't see why the K should
throw people off to that degree --- but about half the people so
called in Denmark spell it with Ch anyway.

(Danish for Christian the religious denomination is kristen. Shorter
forms of Kristian ["k_hRESan] are Kresten ["k_hRE:?sdn=] and Kræn
[k_hRE:n] --- the latter now only encountered in popular novels about
the poor farmer's son who gets the squire's daughter in the end in the
romantic village church back before there was pollution, and the
skylarks sang all year).

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)