On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:52:28 +0200, Dan wrote:

>  On 22 Oct, Adam Walker wrote:
>
>  > Deaf culture is
>  >facinating -- so many unexpected, but totally logical, differences from
the
>  >surrounding hearing culture.
>
>      Yeah, but sometimes some of the people remain depressingly the same!
>  Back in my student days, I once attended a dance where, as it turned out,
>  I witnessed two deaf people cheating on their partners (but in a
fascinting
>  way.)
>  Having ascertained that they were both deaf and, in fact,
>  the only deaf people in the place, they concluded that it was safe to
>  use sign language. They waited for a series of slow dances, and,
>  tightly embraced by their partners, who suspected nothing, they began
>  quite _literally_ behind their partners' backs having a very involved
>  discussion with each other, across the crowded room.
>      Nobody paid them the slightest attention; nobody, that is, except the
>  girl I was with, who, although not deaf, had learned sign language.
>  She drew my attention to the signing going on and gave me
>  a running translation of what they were saying: how they were each going
>  get rid of their girl/boyfriend, where they were going to meet, and
>  what they planned to do with and to each other! Things were really
>  sizzling, but nobody noticed that anything was out of the ordinary.
>  This incident gave the word "discreet" a whole new meaning!

LMAO (Laughin' Me Arse Off)... I guess I better watch what I sign as learn
ASL... hehe...

czHANg

"Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos. Before a
brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the
crowd."
- from the _I Ching_

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html