John Cowan:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Kristian Jensen wrote:
>
> > Since there is already a tendency for some dialects to replace
> > syllable-final <s> with an <h>, I thought of replacing it altogether by some
> > kind of cue in the phonation in the vowel (perhaps breathy voice), or maybe
> > even tone.
>
> The dialects which totally drop /s/ in the coda usually replace it
> with fronting:  'la casa' /lakasa/ 'las casas' /l&kas&/.  Likewise
> e > E and o > 0.

Cool fact. How trustworthy/well-documented is it? It's as though final
/h/ (from /s/) transmogrifies into an autosegment that triggers ATR-ish
harmony (with stressed vowels immune?), which suggests that H-ness
and ATR-ness are phonologically the same thing. Fascinating. If anybody
can tell me of any theoretically-oriented work done on this I'd be most
grateful.

--And.