"H. S. Teoh" wrote:
> To me, I just parse it as a partitive, a "long (short story)" -- i.e., the
> relatively longer story among the class of short stories.

Similar here.  For me, a "short story" is something that's not
appropriate for publication by itself as a book, that is, it must be in
a collection of short stories.  Some short stories are quite short,
while others are long (say, 40-50 pages).  What else would it be
called?  "Long story", I suppose, would be possible, but it would sound
quite awkward to me.

--
Dievas dave dantis; Dievas duos duonos
God gave teeth; God will give bread - Lithuanian proverb