On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Yoon Ha Lee wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Danny Wier wrote:
>
> > The term varies. I've seen "postalveolar", "prepalatal",
> > "palatoalveolar". Never use the term "palatal" however; that's reserved
> > for the likes of IPA /c/, //, /j/ "key", "ich" (German) and "you".
>
> Waitasec--now *I'm* confused.  I thought English "k" was /k/.

It is.  /c/ is a voiceless palatal stop, which sounds sort of like
a very short English "ch" but is made with a different tongue position.
Its voiced equivalent is Hungarian "gy".

> While I'm at it, is /x/ as in German "ach"?  Or do I have that one wrong,
> too?

Yes.

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore