daniel andreasson wrote:
-----<snip>-----
>Another thing I thought about was that the IPA signs for
>"unrounded o" and "voiced velar fricative" are very similar.
>And the sounds are very similar too, although one is a
>consonant and the other one a vowel. Coincidence?

Boreanesian has this "unrounded o" vowel. This vowel has
affinities with what I have called a velar approximant. In very
narrow transcription this vowel is a centralized and raised
unrounded mid-high back vowel (i.e. <ram's horns with both a
centralizing and raising diacritics>). The approximant is more
narrowly a <retracted velar approximant>. Both have their narrowest
constriction in the back velar area. Indeed, very similar sounds.
In fact, the approximant could also be represented by the above
described vowel with a <non-syllabic diacritic>, but that would
mean three diacritics in all. Calling it a velar approximant is
much much easier.

Coincidence? I think not.

-kristian- 8)