> [snip]
> > I hate <k>.  I think it's an ugly spiky letter and I refuse to use it if I
> > can possibly avoid it.  I almost always use <c> for /k/.
> [snip]
>
> Eeek. Whenever I see <c>, I think [tS], or, depending on my gut feeling
> based on the appearance of the word, I might think [s], but never [k].
> Which means I'm one of the offenders who pronounce "celeborn" with [s]
> instead of [k]... *ducks* :-P

*throws*  Ooh, nice dodge.

Because of my Latin training I assume <c> is [k], unless the lang has
the flavor of a Romance lang, I'll tend to assume that it's [s] or [tS].

But <k> is my favorite letter!  I don't use <c> at all in any of my
conlangs except for one that's Romance-inspired.  And I use *lots* of
k's.  A friend of mine, after hearing my say a passage in Yivríndil, send
that it sounded all a's and v's and k's.  Not a bad assessment . . .

Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]
"It is of the new things that men tire--of fashions and proposals and
improvements and change.  It is the old things that startle and
intoxicate.  It is the old things that are young."
-G.K. Chesterton _The Napoleon of Notting Hill_