On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Danny Wier wrote:

> The term varies. I've seen "postalveolar", "prepalatal",
> "palatoalveolar". Never use the term "palatal" however; that's reserved
> for the likes of IPA /c/, //, /j/ "key", "ich" (German) and "you".

Waitasec--now *I'm* confused.  I thought English "k" was /k/.  _The
Korean Alphabet_ lists "j" (McCune-Reischauer transliteration of Korean)
as /c/ and "ch" as /c^h/ (aspirate), so I thought /c/ was something very
similar to English /dZ/.  /c/ really is as in "key"?  <confusion>  I was
so happy to know what the IPA's for Korean sounds were, and now it seems
something is very wrong here!

While I'm at it, is /x/ as in German "ach"?  Or do I have that one wrong,
too?

YHL