On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:14:33 -0400, "H. S. Teoh" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>What I labelled the "palatals" on my webpage turned out to be not palatals
>at all... at least as far as I can tell from the sound clips. In
>particular:
>1) _C_ is the ch sound in English "chance" -- is that /tS/ or something
>  like that?
>2) _c_ is the non-aspirate version of _C_. I don't even know if IPA has a
>  different representation for this sound; but my conlang definitely makes
>  a clear distinction here.

The symbol for aspiration is a superscript h, which is represented /<h>/ in
Kirshenbaum and /_h/ in SAMPA. So these sounds would be: 1) /tS_h/ 2) /tS/
in SAMPA. Or if your /S/ is really more like /s\/ (see below), they'd be
/ts\_h/ and /ts\/.

>3) _j_ is the voiced version of _c_, and is like the English "soft g"
>  (such as in "germaine"). Unlike the English 'j', this sound is more
>  palatal than alveolar (and definitely not dental). What could the IPA
>  symbol be?

I'm not aware of any English dialect that distinguishes between "soft g"
and "j"; both are /dZ/. But what you're describing sounds like Polish "dzi"
as in the Polish word for "thank you" (dzie,kuje,). In that case, /dz\/
might be a better transcription. (/z\/ is "curly-tail z" in IPA.)

>4) _jh_ is the fricatized version of _j_. I don't know offhand of
>  any natlangs I know that has this sound, so I can't give an example.

This would be /z\/, if I'm interpreting your description correctly, and
it's a sound that's found in Polish (e.g. _zielony_ "green").

>5) _ch_ is like the English "sh"... and is basically the fricatized
>  version of _c_, or the unvoiced version of _jh_.

You'd think this would be a curly-tail s, but in IPA the voiced equivalent
of curly-tail z is _curly-tail c_. However, it's /s\/ in SAMPA.

--
languages of Azir------> -<http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/languages.html>-
hmiller (Herman Miller)   "If all Printers were determin'd not to print any