On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Elliott Lash wrote:

>[log in to unmask] writes:
>Don't know if it was intentional or not but your name Silindion, looks like it
> would sound like Celine Dion, the canadian singer.  Not meaning to offend
>just
> curious.
>
>No it's not though I've heard that before. It's really just a compound of
>Silin "forest" + ion (a language name former). Come to think of it, I don't
>even know where the -d- comes from, it probably should be dropped entirely,
>or maybe I can just name it Silic like it was called 3 years ago. Thanks for
>bringing it to my attention.

Why?  It's clear that there is some sound rule in operation here.
Like, -VN + V -> -VNd + V where V is a vowel, N is a nasal sound.
Perhaps accent dependant...lots of possihblities. Or perhaps it's an
example of dissimilation: Old Silindion *silinnion -> silindion. Does
it happen elsewhere in S?

Padraic.