BP Jonsson sikayal:

> [snip]
>
> >In mentioning the 9th century, I was thinking of major changes like
> >syncope, umlaut and breaking. But I suspect that I was off by a
> >century at least, and that those changes had all gone to completion by
> >800. I'm sure that a pre-syncope language (like Gothic) would be very
> >hard for a speaker of Modern Icelandic to understand based on that
> >comptetence alone.
>
> Most would think that syncope, umlaut and breaking were all completed
> before 700, at least if we are to trust the evidence of runic
> inscriptions.  Just because these changes were so catastrophic they (except
> umlaut) are also more visible in the written material.  Umlaut must however
> have been completed by the same time as the vowels which caused it are
> syncopated or apocopated.

Okay, I used to know this, but what's syncope?  What's apocope?

Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]
"It is of the new things that men tire--of fashions and proposals and
improvements and change.  It is the old things that startle and
intoxicate.  It is the old things that are young."
-G.K. Chesterton _The Napoleon of Notting Hill_