> Date:         Mon, 6 Nov 2000 19:20:50 +0100
> From:         Mikael Johansson <[log in to unmask]>

> A quick peer into Lewis&Scott (online @
> http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/lexica.html and click the link ;-)
> yields that in fact amans is only operable as a present participle.

You must be using a parallel-world version of Perseus. Here's the
complete entry from Lewis and Short *here*:

        amans, P. a. and subst., v. amo.

So, again, what's the ablative of amans as a noun? Luckily, Perseus
also includes Allen and Greenough, who speak directly to the point:

        §121. In adjectives of Consonant stems--

        The Ablative Singular commonly ends in -í, but sometimes -e.

        1. Adjectives used as nouns (as superstes, survivor) have -e.

        2. Participles in -ns used as such (especially in the ablative
           absolute, § 419), or as nouns, regularly have -e; but
           participles used as adjectives have regularly -í :--

           * dominó imperante, at the master's command; ab amante, by
             a lover; ab amanti muliere, by a loving woman.

        3. The following have regularly -Ä«:--áméns, anceps, concors
           (and other compounds of cor), cónsors (but as a
           substantive, -e), dégener, hebes, ingéns, inops, memor (and
           compounds), pár (in prose), perpes, praeceps, praepes,
           teres.

        4. The following have regularly -e:--caeles, compos, [¶déses],
           díves,hospes, particeps, pauper, prínceps, sóspes,
           superstes. So also patrials (see § 71. 5) and stems in át-,
           ít-, nt-, rt-, when used as nouns, and sometimes when used
           as adjectives.

(I've used á and so on for vowels with macrons).

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)