On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 01:23:06AM -0500, Muke Tever wrote:
> Are "regular" metathesis changes common?
> Hadwan A has *[affricate][liquid] -> [sibilant][stop][liquid], basically
> meaning stuff like */tsr/ becomes /str/.

I really like that change :)

So far I've been thinking of a view different kinds of regular metathesis
for Dhak, one of which I've told you (Muke) about already:

 #CCwV > #CuCV, #CCjV > #CiCV, where CC is a combination deemed to be
unpronounceable (or impronounceable, or maybe impronuntiable!) at the
beginning of a breath group (I haven't worked out yet which groups will be
permissible).

 Examples: ksabu > ksObu > ksO:b > kswOb > kusOb
           btari > btEri > btE:r > btjEr > bitEr

I think it's pretty cool, but would anyone care to comment on
how realistic it is?

(BTW, I got this idea from a sig of Fabians, which had I think the Maltese
word <ktieb> in it, and I thought that looked/sounded really cool.)

Additionally, I'm thinking of metathesizing C[+voice]? (where C[+voice] is
any voiced consonant and ? is the glottal stop) to ?C[+voice], whereas
C[-voice]? would become C[-voice+ejective] (since ejectives can't be voiced
and I don't like implosives). Any thoughts here?

--
Eric Christopherson / *Aiworegs Ghristobhorosyo