Eric Christopherson sikayal:

> On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 01:23:06AM -0500, Muke Tever wrote:
> > Are "regular" metathesis changes common?
> > Hadwan A has *[affricate][liquid] -> [sibilant][stop][liquid], basically
> > meaning stuff like */tsr/ becomes /str/.
>
> I really like that change :)
>
> So far I've been thinking of a view different kinds of regular metathesis
> for Dhak, one of which I've told you (Muke) about already:
>
>  #CCwV > #CuCV, #CCjV > #CiCV, where CC is a combination deemed to be
> unpronounceable (or impronounceable, or maybe impronuntiable!) at the
> beginning of a breath group (I haven't worked out yet which groups will be
> permissible).
>
>  Examples: ksabu > ksObu > ksO:b > kswOb > kusOb
>            btari > btEri > btE:r > btjEr > bitEr
>
> I think it's pretty cool, but would anyone care to comment on
> how realistic it is?

I like it, though I can't vouch for any real-world examples.  I'm curious
about the third step, though.  Do vowels lengthen with the loss of a final
vowel of the same fronting?

> (BTW, I got this idea from a sig of Fabians, which had I think the Maltese
> word <ktieb> in it, and I thought that looked/sounded really cool.)
>
> Additionally, I'm thinking of metathesizing C[+voice]? (where C[+voice] is
> any voiced consonant and ? is the glottal stop) to ?C[+voice], whereas
> C[-voice]? would become C[-voice+ejective] (since ejectives can't be voiced
> and I don't like implosives). Any thoughts here?

Sounds good to me.  Metathesis is great.

> --
> Eric Christopherson / *Aiworegs Ghristobhorosyo

Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]
"It is of the new things that men tire--of fashions and proposals and
improvements and change.  It is the old things that startle and
intoxicate.  It is the old things that are young."
-G.K. Chesterton _The Napoleon of Notting Hill_