jesse stephen bangs wrote:

> >  Examples: ksabu > ksObu > ksO:b > kswOb > kusOb
> >            btari > btEri > btE:r > btjEr > bitEr
> >
> > I think it's pretty cool, but would anyone care to comment on
> > how realistic it is?
>
>I like it, though I can't vouch for any real-world examples.  I'm curious
>about the third step, though.  Do vowels lengthen with the loss of a final
>vowel of the same fronting?

I was also curious about that example. I get the impression that creating a
closed syllable usually shortens vowels instead of lengthening them. But it
is true (I believe) that vowels followed by a voiced consonant are often a
bit longer than ones followed by a voiceless. So if the same thing occurs
before a voiceless consonant, that would be more strange.

What you could do to get the same results would be to lengthen the vowel in
all non-final, open syllables, then drop the final vowel. So:

ksabu > ksObu > ksO:bu > ksO:b > kswOb > kusOb

I don't know if you want to lengthen all vowels in that context though.

>Sounds good to me.  Metathesis is great.

Hear, hear.

Marcus Smith
AIM:  Anaakoot
"When you lose a language, it's like