Barry Garcia wrote:
>I read in a history of how California became a state that the Napoleonic
>wars were to a great extent responsible for the Spanish / American war.
>Yes? No? How?>

The Spanish-American war of 1898?  Seems unlikely, except under a very long
view that N's activities in Spain put the nail in Spain's political/colonial
coffin.
The Napoleonic wars were certainly responsible for the Latin American wars
of independence,  roughly 1800-1810 (in that N's activities in Spain
disrupted its control, among other things-- aided and abetted by the
examples of the US and French revolutions.  Haiti was actually the first to
revolt, but IIRC that was post-1789 but pre-Napoleon, or at least pre N's
consolidation of power.)

Incidentally kudos to PBS for airing this very excellent program.