The Gray Wizard wrote:

>>cuennaen govamme, elivas an derrin erdulmiraen i horndirron, i veldonan!
>>Greetings, welcome to the list, David

> \t i   veldonan
> \m i   meldon  =an
> \g the beloved =masc
> \p det n       =gnd
> \x the David
>
> David = beloved = meldon
>
> In formal speech, formulaic greetings and when speaking about someone, the
> definite article 'i' must be used.  The definite article causes lenition of
> the initial consonant of the associated noun (i meldonan > i veldonan).
> This is because the definite article in the protolanguage was the prefix
> 'ir-'  and 'r' causes lenition of some following consonants.  In amman iar,
> the definite article has become a separate particle and reduced to 'i'
> (except before a noun with an initial vowel), but the morphophonetic
> accommodation remained.  Additionally, names are always inflected for gender
> allowing the stems to be used for either sex, e.g. i veldonan (masc) / i
> veldoniel (fem).
>
> David
>
> David E. Bell
> The Gray Wizard

I love what you did with my name. But then, I guess you've had some time
to work on that particular name, haven't you.

>OT: Aha, a fellow astronomer!  Are you still active?  Check out my astronomy
>pages at http://www.graywizard.net/Astronomy/astronomy.htm

I'm no longer professionally active (paths not followed, etc...) but I
keep up with the news and I try to get out and observe now and then.
There was a 5th mag. comet over the summer that looked quite nice in
binoculars. I found your astronomy page about a week ago while looking
at your language page. I'm going to have to get something like your news
ticker, that's nifty. By the way, on my site,
http://www.bloomington.in.us/~dstokes on the photography page I have
some photos I took of Hale-Bopp.

David Stokes