> From:    Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: CONLANG Digest - 5 Nov 2000
>
> Eric Christopherson wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 01:23:06AM -0500, Muke Tever wrote:
> >> Are "regular" metathesis changes common?
> >> Hadwan A has *[affricate][liquid] -> [sibilant][stop][liquid],
basically
> >> meaning stuff like */tsr/ becomes /str/.
> >
> >I really like that change :)>
>         But a little unnatural, unless the /ts/ is a cluster, not a unit.

Right, it is a little odd (Hadwan B doesn't have this rule) but the language
can't bear a cluster like /tsr/.  (In B it adds an epenthetic /U/ ->
/tsUr/...)

> (Imagine Engl. /c/ [tS] "undoing" itself to become [St].....?)

Mmm, a 'tree -> shtree' rule would be odd...
Maybe if it went like this:  tsr -> sr -> str  (In which case B would have
/sUr/ instead?)

(/r/ in Hadwan is a Spanish-<r> type /r/.)

> Still, it
> could result from historical changes:  suppose proto-clusters *t+s+vowel
> and *t+s+r+vowel; (Rule 1) the cluster *t+s metathesizes /__r;  (Rule 2)
the
> cluster *t+s > unit /ts/.

Maybe.

Eliott wrote:
> > Luca niy
> > This is evident in prosody... prevocalic ending m was dropped:
> >
> > You're right of course, but one has to wonder why final -m
> > drops out in the example given:
> >
> > foied vino pipafo cra carefo = classical: hodie vinum bibam cras carebo
> >  "Today I will drink wine and tomorrow I will lack it"
> >
> > Where the -m is not prevocalic. It could be that Roman poets
> > knowlingly limited a wide spread rule of -m deletion to occur only
> > before vowels. I'll try to find out more about this ....

I thought "Foied vino..." was a _Faliscan_ inscription?  (Faliscan being,
yes, close to Latin, but not Latin nonetheless...)

     *Muke!
--
http://muke.twu.net/