On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 02:32:27PM -0500, Carlos Thompson wrote:
> Ley Yown Ha wabbe:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Steg Belsky wrote:
> >
> > > Another idea might be inserting epenthetic(?) vowels,
> > > possibly colored by neighboring ones, so for instance:
> > >
> > > *kbáli  >>  k@báli
> > > *trí  >>  tIrí
> >
> > Ah!  Hmm.  I thought of that but have never been sure how to
> > decide which vowel to use (other than "by feel," which I don't
> > trust).  Thanks for the examples.  :-)
>
> Well, the epenthetic vowel could be a lax vowel /@ I U/ close to next
> vowel.  It could also be close to the point of articulation of the
> consonants: labial and velar would bring /U/, coronal, uvular and
> faringeals would bring /@/, palatals would bring /I/... or something
> like that.  This way they become more systematic.

I'm confused as to how velar consonants would make it /U/ but uvular and
pharyngeals would make it /@/, since uvular and pharyngeal are further back
than velar. Now that I think of that, coronal (dental/alveolar/retroflex,
right?) is further forward than palatals, so why would that cause the vowel
to be central?

--
Eric Christopherson / *Aiworegs Ghristobhorosyo