> From:    Elliott Lash <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: "foied vino" as Faliscan or Latin
>
> Tommaso niy
>
>  Just checked in a textbook on IE languages I have.  Faliscan is
>  given as a "Latin variant with strong 'rustic' connotations (due to
>  Umbrian interferences)."  I seem to understand that this statement
>  is not uncontroversial, though.
>
>    In all the textbooks and other types of books that
> I've looked at Faliscan and Latin are described as distinct
> languages to about the same extent as Dutch and German.
> Saying that Faliscan is a "Latin variant" is to the best of
> my knowledge a falsehood. Imagine telling a German person
> that there language is just a variant of Dutch or vice versa!

I couldn't find the book I first read.  But the "Encyclopedia of the
Languages of Europe" has this to say:

     "Faliscan was an Italic language closely related to Latin--cf.
      Faliscan _foied vino pipafo, cra carefo_, Latin _hodie vinum
      bibam, cras carebo_ 'today I shall drink wine, tomorrow I
      shall do without'.  Indeed, it has sometimes been claimed that
      it was a dialect of Latin, but that is an extreme view."

So I guess that's it, then.

     *Muke!
--
http://muke.twu.net/