Eric Christopherson wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 01:23:06AM -0500, Muke Tever wrote:
>> Are "regular" metathesis changes common?
>> Hadwan A has *[affricate][liquid] -> [sibilant][stop][liquid], basically
>> meaning stuff like */tsr/ becomes /str/.
>
>I really like that change :)>
        But a little unnatural, unless the /ts/ is a cluster, not a unit.
(Imagine Engl. /c/ [tS] "undoing" itself to become [St].....?)  Still, it
could result from historical changes:  suppose proto-clusters *t+s+vowel
and *t+s+r+vowel; (Rule 1) the cluster *t+s metathesizes /__r;  (Rule 2) the
cluster *t+s > unit /ts/.

>So far I've been thinking of a view different kinds of regular metathesis
>for Dhak, one of which I've told you (Muke) about already:
>
> #CCwV > #CuCV, #CCjV > #CiCV, where CC is a combination deemed to be
>unpronounceable (or impronounceable, or maybe impronuntiable!) at the
>beginning of a breath group (I haven't worked out yet which groups will be
>permissible).
>
> Examples: ksabu > ksObu > ksO:b > kswOb > kusOb
>           btari > btEri > btE:r > btjEr > bitEr
>
>I think it's pretty cool, but would anyone care to comment on
>how realistic it is?>
        Nice.  It also admits of several analyses.  One possibility:  ksabu
> ksaub (met.!!) > ksO:b then / kswOb > (2d met.!!) kusOb, as you have it.

Or:  ....ksO:b > k@sO:b (cluster breaking) > kusob (assimilation)
Or:  ...ksO:b > k[w]sO:b (anticipatory rounding) > kusob
Both these strike me as quite natural possibilities, and are similar to an
apparent metathesis in a group of langs. in eastern Indonesia that I've
mentioned before. E.g. ku- '1st sg.' + dávar (made-up verb, can't find
dictionary) > kdwávar 'I (whatever)'.  Presumably the rounding of the
prefix's /u/ carries over onto the initial /d/, then the pretonic /u/
deletes.  Similarly, mi- '2nd pl' + davar > mdjavar.
Another lang. in the area (Leti) has alternating forms like ulti ~ ulit
'skin (Malay kulit)', where ulti seems to be the base (or at least the
citation form).  But again, it seems to be only apparent metathesis:
Underlying form {úlit} -- add a support V, echoing the final V > /úlit-i/ >
syncope /ulti/.

>Additionally, I'm thinking of metathesizing C[+voice]? (where C[+voice] is
>any voiced consonant and ? is the glottal stop) to ?C[+voice], whereas
>C[-voice]? would become C[-voice+ejective] (since ejectives can't be voiced
>and I don't like implosives). Any thoughts here?>
        Reasonable, especially for initial or pre-consonantal position.  (In
trying to produce these, I come up with things like /a?bda/ > [a?pta], or
/a?bsa/ > [a?bza].  Strange.)  Intervocalic voiced stop + ? is certainly a
possible _cluster_.

ObConlang:   Kash has quite a bit of metasethis ;-), mostly involving /r/ +
cons. e.g. /axar/ 'pain' + -mi 'my' > /axamri/ pron/written "ahambri" 'my
pain'; /amar/ 'age, era; eon' + /-kale/ 'adj. formant' > /amakrale/
'eternal'.   As well as some fossilized forms like /liweNgi/ 'throughout,
for a period of...'  < /liwek/ 'long' + -ni  '3d sg. poss.', lit. 'its
length'.