There are a couple of questions here.

The first is "would TEI work for syllabi."  I don't see why not, though
the encoding may be far more than you need.  If the point is simple data
storage, a Dbase or a relatively simple custom XML tagging might be
sufficient.

The second question is "how do I get my XML/SGML outputted as HTML."
Sebastian Rahtz has made up some XSL scripts that can output HTML.  I've
been using the SGML/XML Multidoc browser for the same purpose for a
couple of years.  When I've had students working for me, I've found it
easier to use Multidoc.  But a lot of "web people" nowadays can use XSL.

-dan
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Department of English