Herman Miller wrote:
>>If you have a relatively recent version of Windows, with a relatively
>>recent version of Microsoft Word, and a Unicode font that has it, you can
>>go to Insert >> Symbol, and just look through the font.  >

As a matter of fact (just noticed, to my chagrin) the Multinational charset
has a ready-made u-tilde.  But the overstrike function I mentioned certainly
does the trick if you want to put diacritics over any letter whatever.

It never had an easily usable overstrike function, but you can use the EQ
>field to do overstrikes. For instance, select "Insert / Field..." from the
>menu and type "EQ \o(i,-)" (without the quotes) into the text box for a
>barred i character. >

I don't seem to have, or find, "Insert/field"........However, come to think
of it, last winter thru AOL I was receiving Instant Messages from a young
conlanger who managed to produce barred-i in his IMs using a command
_similar_ to what Herman mentions.  Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.