En réponse à Muke Tever <[log in to unmask]>:

> > From:    Barry Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=282=29:_=22Roumant=22,?= or
> >          maybe=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_Narbon=F3sc.?= Part VII
> >
> > If you used an Anglicized version, Narbonese looks MUCH better than
> > Narbonish (which sounds and looks ugly to me, personally)
>
> Myself I was thinking that Narbonish (sounds like ['nArb@niS] would
> probably
> be better off with three n's (as "Narbonnish") which would put the
> stress on
> the second syllable [nAr'bAniS]...  The name of the place is <Narbonne>
> in
> English, isn't it?

Yes, in French too. But in Narbonósc the sequence <nn> is always pronounced /~n/
(i.e. nasalisation of the previous vowel + /n/), so it was no good. Also, the
stress in Narbonósc is on the last syllable, so if the English version wants to
parallel this, what should it be? Personnally, I find Narbonese nice, but
anything nicer will do :) .

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr