Christophe wrote:

> > Yep, as in Arveuneic, apeglarse, from apegler (note, when pronouns are
> > suffixed to the infinitive of -er verbs, which were originally -are
> > verbs,
> > the thematic vowel reverts to a). Also in Carashan (my "peudo-Romance"
> > lang), eumerse.
> >

> Where does your verb apeglarse come from? I suppose it's cognate from
French
> "s'appeler" and I'm wondering where this one comes from too :) .

"s'appeler" should be from 'se appellare', being appellare a compund
ad+pello which meant 'to call'. In Italian the verb appellare (used in the
reflexive:-arsi) means also 'to plead'. In French it has developped another
meaning.

> > Hmm. I've decided. In Arveuneic, to express a relationship of any
> > serious
> > sort (i.e. "partner" not just "boyfriend"), you use mu "man" or fuma
> > "woman". So I would say "le meun mu s'apegle Steve". Or if I had a
> > girlfriend (!) I would say "la mea fuma s'apgle Maria". However, if
> > Maria
> > was my wife, I would say "la mea fuma en leic", literally "my woman in
> > law". To refer to "the wife" or "the old man", people jocularly tend to
> > say
> > "la dma" or "le dum", from domina/dominus. People also use these for
> > "Mr"
> > and "Mrs": jeu m'apgli dum Jones "I'm Mr Jones",  ou s le dum Jones?
> > "Where's Mr Jones?"
> >

> Oh, I had forgotten to say that as in Portuguese and Country French, the
> definite article is used with names, unless those are used to call
someone.
> Strangely enough, the definite article becomes optional when dom/dne:
Mr/Ms is
> used.

Spoken (Northern) Italian uses articles almost everywhere (io sono il Luca -
I am *the* Luca - is not so strange). The national language uses articles
with names only if these are surnames of important people (generally great
writers or historical personalities): l'Alighieri, il Manzoni, il Cavour. If
signore/signora/signorina do appear, the name generally takes the article:
sono il signor Mangiat; but: mi chiamo signor Mangiat. Strange, uh?

> "Seniorem" gave "seigneur", "sieur" (yes, it's the origin of monsieur:
"meus
> senior") and "sire" in French.

In Lombard dialects it became even sciuur /Su:r/! In Italian it is signore
/sin^ore/; we have also a sire /sire/ but I fear it is a French loanword.

Luca