By the way, I never told everyone what became of my tonal Indo-European language project.  Thank you all for answering those questions when I first joined the list.  I am particularly indebted to whoever used the word "tonogenesis", because otherwise I would never have figured out the right keyword for my research.

I've temporarily posted the description of Kowei (ko is 'human' in my conlang, wei is Fujian dialect for "language") at http://pantheon.yale.edu/~en27/kowei.doc .  I may not republish, but I would very much like to hear what people think of the way I finally scrambled towards tonogenesis and re-introduction of voiced stops.

It is my first conlang, and it was thrown together in a few weeks for a not exactly rigorous class, so please don't expect proper research (the Lamsek villages are a fiction, and I have no idea what southwestern Fujian dialect sounds like).  Basically this was an experiment in creating an Indo-European language with phonology like a southern Chinese dialect and grammar from nowhere.  Once I managed that I'm afraid I ran out of energy for inventing further interesting developments, except for a Great Diphthong Shift.

Note: We were required to cite IE cognates of our conlang words, and some of these might not display right, since I use special fonts (Old English at http://www.engl.virginia.edu/OE/ and IPA at http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/encore-ipa.html ).  This isn't terribly important - the modern language itself is, I think, written in plain vanilla ASCII.

Thanks all!
E-Ching