-----Original Message-----
From: DOUGLAS KOLLER <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, January 12, 2001 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: Moi, le Kou (was: verbs = nouns?)

>> It's always nice when you can take a name from a language and  use it for
>> your own. In Japani could only do my name in katakana: Barii Garushia
>
>Boku wa, Dagurasu Kooraa (which female colleagues would truncate to
>"Dagu-chan"). Totally "da-me!"

<laugh>  Watashi (?) no namae wa, Ii Yun Ha?  (Sorry--what little I know of
Japanese personal pronouns is more confusing than enlightening.)

Quick dumb question: what are the distinctions between -kun, -chan,
and -dono?  We (a few anime-watching friends and I) had the hypothesis
that -kun was for younger guys and -chan was for younger gals, both somewhat
affectionate, and were just flummoxed on -dono (it's used in Rurouni
Kenshin, usually when addressing Kaoru).  But your example throws that
hypothesis down the drain, so now I'm just plain confused.

YHL, who figures she's not a boku, but gets lot when it comes to atashi,
watashi, ore, and who knows what other variants