-----Original Message-----
From: Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, January 13, 2001 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: Moi, le Kou (was: verbs = nouns?)

>My main conlang, Rokbeigalmki, has way too many writing styles.
>You can see a few of them at the old webpage (i've been working on a new
>one for about a year now, haven't gotten far)
>http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/8515/conlang.html
>There's the Original Ziifer script made for my and my brother's conlang
>ool-Nuziiferoi, which i then took (with the rest of it's aborted remains)
>and built Rokbeigalmki on.  Internal-historically it was designed for
>writing with styluses on clay tablets.  A more angular version of it
>(think diamonds instead of circles) was also used for carving in stone.
[snip]
Wow!  I think the first alphabet that comes up on the page has a very
"carved" look to it; how did you do it?  :-)

>After that on the webpage are just Latin and Hebrew transliteration
>systems.  I have never really used the Hebrew one, i much prefer the
>Cyrillic system.  I tried to come up with an Arabic system in a boring
>class this past semester, but not having experience with Urdu, Turkish,
>Farsi, etc. ways of "extending" the alphabet i stopped.

Unfortunately I only have a book on modern Turkish, which uses the Roman
alphabet, and then some.

>And of course there's also calligraphy!
>The Rokbeigalmki alphabet was used for calligraphy even before
>Rokbeigalmki existed, and you can see an example at
>http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~bh11744/caligraf.gif
>The letters of each word are connected, and words are connected by just
>physical proximity even though they don't have joining lines.  This
>example is actually breaking some of the rules.
>
>There's also an ideographic (actually morphemograph?) system, created for
>my anthropology class the semester before this past one, found at
>http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~bh11744/theszhes.gif

Neat!  Did you right that on computer paper?  =^)  (I'm looking at the
holes...)  It looks very mysterious, like something you'd find inscribed on
a tomb or cenotaph somewhere and have to decipher.

>When i make scribbles in my notepad now it's usually a mixture of all
>different kinds of scripts, which i, at least, think looks cool.

I doodled many a math lecture away practicing my conscript--only one, but I
figured I should memorize it before going on to something else.

>And of course there's my newest conlang, the romance one Jūdajca, which
>can be written in Latin or in Hebrew letters.  I like writing that one
>boustrophedon style, with alternating lines of alternating scripts.

<G>  Some kinds of boustrophedon would give me a headache trying to figure
out orientations, especially in alphabets where some letters are mirror
images or rotations of each other.  Korean's especially bad in that respect;
I sometimes read vowels wrong because they're
rotations/reflections/inversions/aiee!

YHL