> Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:37:55 -0600
> From: Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>

> Interesting stuff! I never knew Ravenna had been a Roman capital. Anyway, I
> did a Google search on "Odoacer and Eadwacer" and came up with two hits, one
> being simply and onomasticon and the other being a post on a forum of some
> sort, at
> humserv1.hum.gu.se/arkiv/ONN/1998onn/I/msg00289.html. But be warned; this
> link didn't work for me, so I had to take Google's cached version at
> http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:humserv1.hum.gu.se/arkiv/ONN/1998onn/I/msg00289.html+eadwacer+odoacer&hl=en.

I used to be on that list --- Old Norse Net it stands for. The admins
got a scare from some laws passed in Sweden or the EU about keeping
personal info about others on a computer, and concluded that the list
archive was illegal. So they took it down.

> Anyway, in the post a Lars Hemmingsen, Ph.D. says:
>
> >  As for Odoacer, he appears as Aetgeirr in the saga, and his brother Onoulf
> >as Vidolf (they are Eadwacer and Wulf in a well known OE poem of their end,
> >but that is another story). They are some of Didrek's most important
> >opponents in the legends.
>
> The saga in question is apparently Thidrekssaga, and Didrek/Thidrek is
> Theodoric, the chief Zeno sent to depose Odoacer.

Anyway, the list moved and I unsubscribed, but Lars Hemmingsen is
probably still around. He's a teacher and seems to enjoy answering
questions, so I'm sure he won't mind a request to tell the other story
mentioned below. Last address I have for him is <[log in to unmask]>.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)