On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 04:50:13PM -0500, Andreas Johansson wrote:
[snip]
> I'm totally lost on tones. I also have problem with nasal vowels (sorry you
> French folks but words like "Enghien" are unpronounceable!).

Oooh! You just reminded me... Hokkien, my L1, also has nasal vowels. For
example,
        [i:5] "aunt", [i~:5] = "round"
        [si4] = "is", or "yes"; [si~4] = "fan"
        [ki4] = "wart"; [ki~4] = "meet"

(Using Hokkien tone numbers here.) As you can see, drastic differences in
meaning depending on nasality.

> I'm pretty good at long clusters I think, but that's because nice Swedish
> forms like _spotskt_ and _Ernsts_ ([E:n`s`t`s`] where the "`"s mark
> retroflex consonants).

Eeek. Retroflex *clusters*!! My tongue gets into a knot over stuff like
that, hehe :-)

Computers are like a jungle: they have monitor lizards, rams, mice, c-moss...